Outdoor Instructor Training Courses
Would you like to have the best job in the World?
32 Trainees | 15 Activities | 16-23 Weeks Training| up to 30 Qualifications
Active Outdoor Pursuit’s Outdoor Instructor Training courses in Scotland are designed for enthusiastic outdoor people who want to make their dream of a career as an outdoor instructor a reality. Get up to 30 qualifications in 15 outdoor activities over 16 to 23 weeks.
The Outdoor Instructor Training Course is based in the Cairngorms National Park in the Scottish Highlands. Due to the location, you have access to some of Scotland’s finest mountains, lochs & rivers right from the doorstep. This is without a doubt the perfect place to learn the skills and train to become a professional outdoor instructor.
About the Outdoor Instructor Training Course
The Outdoor Instructor Training Course in Scotland provides 32 candidates seeking a career in the outdoor industry to the widest range of qualifications in adventurous outdoor activities. Our highly experienced and friendly outdoor instructors provide you the skills, knowledge, training and qualification courses.
We are so confident in our course that if you can find another that delivers the outcomes and assures the same genuine, long-term career development prospects for a lower fee, we will match the price!
We are aware of how challenging and time consuming this process can be. But rest assured, the course will knock down barriers and guide you through the various complex National Governing Body Schemes. All the while inspiring you on your journey to become an outdoor instructor. All this is during an intensive 16-23 weeks of training, practice and assessments.
The course will make you a skilled, professional & employable outdoor Instructor with real career development prospects For those with different goals, the course will equip you with the skills and confidence to travel and venture into wild & remote places throughout the world.
Dates & Price
- 16 week Outdoor Instructor Training Course in Scotland £5,595.00.
- Accommodation (SC) £1,095.
The next dates are listed below:
- July 6th – 24th October 2021.
- Summer Course Start Date Tuesday 6th July ( arrive around 4pm Monday 5th July). Summer Course Finishes Friday 22nd October ( Depart centre by 3pm on Sunday 24th OCT 21). Total 16 weeks ( 80 training days)
- Winter Course Start Date Tuesday 2nd November (arrive around 4pm Monday 1st Nov). Winter Course Finishing date Friday 1st April ( Depart centre by 3pm on Sunday 3rd April 2022). Total 22 weeks ( 80 training days. 2 week ski module, 2 weeks holiday Christmas, 2 weeks holiday February half term).
October course is 22 weeks with breaks for extra consolidation and holidays with 16 weeks training or 18 weeks with ski performance and 22 weeks for the Ski instructor course.
Those on winter course opting for PSIA Module (Ski Instructor) – only have Christmas and New year holidays and finish 22/24th April ( depending on flights and centre departure
There are additional optional modules to extend the duration of the course. While you can find out more information about these further down the page, the costs are below.
- Ski Development module £1095.00.
- Ski Instructor Module £3,795.
- Mountain Bike Module £150.00
Get Up to 30 Qualifications in 15 Activities
- Scottish Canoe Association Raft Guide Award.·
- Core Coach Training.
- Open Water Canoe Coach training.·
- Open Water Canoe Leader.
- Canyoning/Gorge-Scrambling instructor training.
- Foundation Safety & Rescue Training course (FSRT).
- White Water Safety & Rescue Training course (WWSRT).
- Stand up Paddleboard Module.
- Multi Day Kayak Touring Award
- Canoe award.
- White-Water Kayak skills.
- Start, Discover & Explore Award in canoe and kayak.
- Canoe White Water Leader skills.
- Touring/Sea Kayak Leader skills.
- Mega Stand up Paddleboard training.
- Ducky leader training.
- Rock Climbing Instructor training or assessment course.
- Summer Mountain leader training or assessment course.
- British Cycling MTB Level 2 preparation (see course upgrade modules).
- Mountain Scrambling (Summer course in Scotland – Winter Course in Spain).
- Orienteering training.
- PSIA Level 1 Ski Instructor qualification course.
- PSIA performance awards levels 1-9 depending on outcome.
- Intro to Ski touring day (for ski instructor candidates only).
- Winter skills training.
- DofE supervisor training on water and land.
- Outdoor First Aid Certification.
- Expedition training on water & land.
- Being a professional instructor and professional responsibilities.
- Risk assessment in the Outdoors.
- Beyond ITC (career opportunities, applying for jobs, what to expect, CVs etc..)
- Driving and towing trailers + responsibilities and maintenance.
- Child wellbeing & protection in Sport.
- Coaching the mind.
All of the professional qualifications that you will gain on the course have been selected because they are the outdoor industry’s most sought after and prestigious NGB qualifications. These are on land, rock, snow & water. We also incorporate workshops to provide you with additional crucial skills & a wider knowledge of the industry.
Outdoor instructor Training Course Upgrade Modules
Snowsports performance development module
This highly recommended additional module for the Outdoor Instructor Training Course is available to students on the summer & winter Courses.
In December, we leave Scotland to spend two weeks developing your ski or snowboard skills. While based at 9,600 feet in Breckenridge, Colorado you’re in one of the most perfect and snow assured ski resorts in the world. The ski area is huge, with 5 peaks and 2,908 skiable acres and 187 runs suitable for all abilities. While here, your training will take you step by step through the American (PSIA) Performance Awards. In order to establish good technique, basic coaching skills as well as piste and mountain awareness. Most importantly, these awards form part of the pathway to becoming a qualified ski instructor.
The Aim of the module
Our aim on this module of the Outdoor Instructor Training Course is to develop your skills through ongoing teaching, feedback and guided-discovery. Because of this, half of each day is lesson based, the rest of the time you are free to explore the mountain. This helps promote confidence, awareness and technique, gaining the most of your time on the snow. While training in Breckenridge we will stay at Grand Timber Lodge. Located at the foot of Peak 8 one of the main slopes, the luxury Lodge has the perfect combination of convenience and comfort.
Joining this module gives you an opportunity to join a Ski Touring day when back in Scotland. In additions, the course fee of £995.00 includes equipment rental, training and self-catering accommodation. Specifically, in a slope side luxury resort (with swimming pools, hot tubs, sauna, steam room, gym).
Flights and transfers £650 approx. Lift Pass £430 approx.
Course Cost: £1095.00.
Check Our Outdoor Instructor Training Course Video below:
Included In the Outdoor Instructor Training Course
- Expert coaching / instruction 5 days per week.
- On course transport to venues.
- Pro deals on outdoor clothing and equipment.
- An enhanced opportunity to be part of Instructor Development Programme.
- Fees for formal NGB training and assessment courses.
- Use of most centre equipment in personal time.
- Personal mentoring, offering advice and support in your general development and career prospects as an outdoor instructor.
- Opportunities on days off to shadow our instructors on activities and expeditions.
- 3 weeks rock climbing, scrambling & walking in Spain (winter course).
- Opportunities to take part on activity sessions from the moment you book your course.