2-Day Ski Mountaineering & Touring Course
Ski Mountaineering, Back Country Ski Touring and Freeride Skiing in Aviemore, the Cairngorms & across Scotland have become hugely popular in recent years. Why not take try it for yourself and discover the best way of travelling in the mountains during winter.
Ski mountaineering, ski touring and Freeride skiing in Scotland
Ski mountaineering, BackCountry ski touring and Freeride skiing in Aviemore, the Cairngorms & Scotland have become hugely popular in recent years, it is perhaps the most satisfying and efficient way of exploring and travelling through the mountains during the winter months.
The Mountains of the Cairngorms National Park are by far the premium mountain peaks for ski touring in Scotland, although we are happy to guide in other parts of the Scottish Highlands.
Escaping to the Backcountry gets us away from the crowded and expensive ski slopes and into the great mountain wilderness areas of Scotland. If you’re a keen skier, hill walker or climber, we would love to welcome you to Active to discover and develope the skills required to ski tour safely in the Scottish mountains.
Our Back country ski mountaineering & touring days are based in the Cairngorm National Park in and around Newtonmore and the Aviemore area (Badenoch & Strathspey). We will ski mainly in the Cairngorm mountains which are Scotland’s finest ski touring mountains, however, should conditions be favourable, we may opt to visit Creag Meagaidh or the Monadhliath mountains. During the 4 day course we include an overnight snow holing expedition if conditions allow.
- Planning & preparing for a tour
- Route planning, navigation & EADS & ATES
- Ascending with skins and crampons
- Off-piste skiing technique & risk analysis
- Backcountry Avalanche Training: awareness, identification, analysis.
- Search & rescue transceiver training
£250 per person. Maximum 6 people per coach
*Talk to us if you are unsure which ski mountaineering & touring course is best suited to your ability.
*Instructor client ratio will be a maximum of 1:6
*Other dates may be available by arrangement
- Guiding / Instruction
- Safety equipment
- Touring skis, boots, poles & skins (if required)
- Transport, we will meet clients at the venue.
- Lift passes
WHAT TO BRING
- Touring skis, boots, poles & skins (if you have your own)
- Good quality breathable waterproofs
- Good quality base and mid layers
- 40 litre rucksack with ski straps
- Packed lunches inc; hot and cold drinks
- Head torch and whistle
- Mountaineering or snowsports helmet
- 4 season gloves and warm hat/ balaclava.
- Silva Type 4 Exped compass
WHAT WE CAN SUPPLY
- Touring skis, boots, poles & skins
- Mountaineering Helmet
- Avalanche rescue kit.