2 Day Winter Skills course
If you’re planning to head out into the mountains in winter conditions, it’s vital to learn the skills and techniques necessary to keep you safe. Our 2-Day Winter Skills Course will teach you the essential fundamental skills and build your confidence. Our courses take place near Aviemore in the Cairngorms National Park, although we are able to deliver courses throughout the Scottish Highlands. Just select your preferred start date from the calendar, day 2 will be automatically added.
2 Day Winter Skills Courses in Scotland
Our 2 day winter skills training courses in the Cairngorms, Aviemore & throughout Scotland are designed to ensure you have the skills and knowledge to travel safely in the high mountains in winter conditions. These essential skills will be learned and developed throughout your chosen course. The Winter Skills days will utilise the Cairngorms to teach you the fundamentals of hill walking in winter conditions.
You will get to develop your winter skills and learn new techniques. These include navigation, use of crampons & ice axes, walking safely in the snow, snow-pack analysis, the use of transceivers (including search and rescue techniques), emergency shelters, introduction to rope work, & avalanche awareness/evaluation.
Our winter skills courses are based at the Cairngorms Adventure Centre and use the Northern Corries and Cairngorm Plateau, one of Scotland’s finest and most accessible high mountain areas, thus maximising your learning time. Other areas that we may use are; Creag Meagaidh, Ben Nevis & Glencoe.
Get Skilled For Winter with 2 days of winter skills training
- Winter navigational skills.
- Winter Crampon & ice axe skills .
- Safe mountain walking skills in Scottish winter conditions.
- Avalanche awareness/evaluation training.
- Scottish Winter weather evaluation skills.
- Emergency Winter Shelters.
- Detailed snow-pack analysis.
- The Use of Transceivers.
- Basic Introduction to Winter Skills Rope Work.
On the Scotland Winter skills days & courses in Aviemore & the Cairngorms, you will cover the above skills which are crucial to be able to travel safely in the hills. Of course, the skills you will cover on the Winter skills training will depend on the length of your chosen course.
Winter Skills Course Timings & Information
- 08:15 meet at Cairngorms Adventure Centre on day 1 for equipment issue an initial briefing.
- 09:00 Depart from Cairngorms Adventure Centre to head to the chosen venue (clients will follow the instructor in their own vehicles.
- Off the hill around 15:30
Other Winter Skills Course durations
Winter Scenery Video
The hills encompassed in a winter coat of snow. The shots are mostly from the Cairngorms & Aviemore, but also a couple from other parts of Scotland.