Winter Skills Courses in Scotland
Winter skills training days & courses in the Cairngorms, Aviemore & Scotland. Learn the skills to move safely and efficiently in the mountains (in winter), safely use ice axes, crampons, plan a route according to weather and avalanche risk and many more.
What are Winter Skills Training Courses in Scotland?
Get Active on our winter skills training days & courses in Scotland – based in the Cairngorms national park near Aviemore, these courses ensure you have the skills, knowledge & training to travel Scottish mountains safely in winter conditions.
On the training course, will get to develop your winter skills and learn new techniques. Such as: navigation, use of crampons & ice axes, walking safely in the snow, snow-pack analysis, & avalanche awareness/evaluation. Moreover, the Winter Skills days will utilise the Cairngorms (the very heart of winter in Scotland) to teach you the fundamentals of hill walking in Winter conditions.
Our winter skills days and training courses are based at the Cairngorms Adventure Centre and use the Northern Corries and Cairngorm Plateau, one of Scotland’s finest and most accessible high mountain areas, thus maximising your learning time. Similarly, other fine areas that we may use are; Creag Meagaidh, Ben Nevis & Glencoe. To sum up, where we go will depend on where the best snow conditions are and what is most appropriate.
Get Skills For Winter In Scotland
- Winter navigational skills.
- Winter Crampon & ice axe skills .
- Safe mountain walking skills in Scottish winter conditions.
- Snow-pack analysis skills.
- Avalanche awareness/evaluation training.
- Scottish Winter weather evaluation skills.
- Two Day Scottish Winter Skills Courses.
- Emergency Winter Shelters.
- Detailed snow-pack analysis.
- The Use of Transceivers.
- Basic Introduction to Winter Skills Rope Work.
- Four Day Scottish Winter Skills Course
- Search & rescue Scenario.
- Advanced Winter Skills Rope Work.
- 1 night Winter expedition – Skills Snowholing in Aviemore & the Cairngorms, or elsewhere in Scotland.
On the Scotland Winter skills courses/days in Aviemore & the Cairngorms, you will cover the above skills which are crucial to be able to travel safely in the hills. Of course, the skills you will cover on the Winter skills training will depend on the length of your chosen course. With this in mind, see further down the page for links to the Two & Four day Courses.
Winter Skills Information
- 07.45 Groups meet & equipment issued.
- 08.00 Depart for activities
- Courses will finish around 5pm
Included in the Winter Skills Training
- On-course transport.
- Instruction (as outlined).
- Technical equipment (if required).
Not Included in the Training Course
- Accommodation – book directly if required.
- Personal accident Insurance.
- Waterproofs, base layers, warm layers, gloves (x2 pairs at least),.
- 40+L rucksack, hat, balaclava & Ski Goggles.
- Gaiters are desirable.
Accommodation during your winter skills training course in Scotland is available at our lodge, the Cairngorms Adventure Centre. On the whole, the lodge offers self catered accommodation; shared dorms or private rooms. Although, catering can be provided for groups of 10 or more. In addition, there is a drying room, open lounge, large kitchen, free wi-fi plus friendly & helpful staff to make your stay with us enjoyable this Winter. In Fact, it is located smack bang in the Cairngorms national park, nearly in the centre of Scotland itself. In addition, it is just a 15 minute drive from Aviemore.
- Those booking on to the Scotland winter skills training courses in Aviemore & the Cairngorms should have prior mountain walking experience.
- A good level of fitness is extremely beneficial.
Other Winter Skills Training days & Courses in Scotland
Two Days Winter Skills in Scotland
The Two day Scotland winter skills course based in Aviemore & the Cairngorms builds on the skills from the first. It will covers new skills like rope-work and some emergency shelters. In addition, it also introduces the use of avalanche transceivers and further snow pack analysis. Thus further enhancing the knowledge from the one day course.
Four Day Winter Skills in Scotland
On the four day Scotland winter skills training course based in Aviemore &the Cairngorms we head out for a two day overnight expedition. In Short, we go snowholing (if you are not sure what this is then take a look). We will sleep out in the mountains in what is effectively a snow cave. In addition, this course introduces advanced ropework skills & a search and rescue scenario.
Aerial Winter Scenery Video
An aerial view of the hills encompassed in a winter coat of snow. The winter shots depicted here are mostly from the Cairngorms & Aviemore, but also a couple from other parts of Scotland.