Winter Skills Courses in Scotland
One day winter skills training course in the Cairngorms, Aviemore & Scotland. Learn the skills to move safely and efficiently in the mountains (in winter), safely use ice axes, crampons, plan a route according to weather and avalanche risk and many more.
Winter Skills Training Courses in Scotland
Get Active on our one day winter skills training courses in Scotland – based in the Cairngorms national park near Aviemore, this course ensures you have the skills and knowledge to travel the mountains safely in winter conditions.
On the training course, will get to develop your winter skills and learn new techniques. These include navigation, use of crampons & ice axes, walking safely in the snow, snow-pack analysis, & avalanche awareness/evaluation. The Winter Skills days will utilise the Cairngorms (the very heart of winter in Scotland) to teach you the fundamentals of hill walking in Winter conditions.
Our winter skills days and training courses are based at the Cairngorms Adventure Centre and use the Northern Corries and Cairngorm Plateau, one of Scotland’s finest and most accessible high mountain areas, thus maximising your learning time. Other areas that we may use are; Creag Meagaidh, Ben Nevis & Glencoe.
One Day Winter Skills Training in Scotland Itinerary
On the one day Scotland Winter skills course in Aviemore & the Cairngorms, you will cover the following skills which are crucial to be able to travel safely in the hills:
- use of crampons & ice axes
- walking safely in the snow
- snow-pack analysis
- avalanche awareness/evaluation
- weather evaluation
Winter Skills Information
- 07.45 Groups meet & equipment issued.
- 08.00 Depart for activities
- Courses will finish around 5pm
Included in the Winter Skills Training
- On-course transport
- Instruction (as outlined)
- Technical equipment (if required)
Not Included in the Training Course
- Accommodation – book directly if required
- Personal accident Insurance
- Waterproofs, base layers, warm layers, gloves (x2 pairs at least),
- 40+L rucksack, hat, balaclava & Ski Goggles.
- Gaiters are desirable.
Accommodation during your winter skills training course in Scotland is available at our lodge, the Cairngorms Adventure Centre. The lodge offers self catered accommodation; shared dorms or private rooms. Catering can be provided for groups of 10 or more. There is a drying room, open lounge, large kitchen, free wi-fi and friendly & helpful staff to make your stay with us enjoyable this Winter. It is located smack bang in the Cairngorms national park, nearly in the centre of Scotland itself and just a 15 minute drive from Aviemore.
- Those booking on to the Scotland winter skills training courses in Aviemore & the Cairngorms should have prior mountain walking experience.
- A good level of fitness is extremely beneficial.
Two & Four Day Winter Skills Training Courses in Scotland
Aerial Winter Scenery Video
An aerial view of the hills encompassed in a winter coat of snow. The winter shots depicted here are mostly from the Cairngorms & Aviemore, but also a couple from other parts of Scotland.