Winter Mountaineering Courses
Winter Mountaineering Courses in Scotland
Choose from 1 to 4 consecutive days. Our Winter Mountaineering Courses are tailored to the abilities and grades appropriate for you. We require two people to make this course run so, ideally you should book with a partner. If you are booking as an individual then please consider our Guided Winter Climbing Course.
This course is ideally suited to people who are keen to start learning some skills and techniques for winter climbing, and who already have some summer climbing and winter skills experience. All of the technical equipment is supplied by us.
During one of our Winter Mountaineering Courses you will gain:
- Essential skills training for safe winter mountaineering.
- Ropework techniques specifically for winter mountaineering.
- Awareness of snow and Ice conditions and what makes a route appropriate to climb on the day.
- Avalanche awareness and evaluation.
- Gear placements in winter appropriate to the route you are on.
- Anchor selection.
- Stance Management and appropriate lead belaying in winter.
After meeting at our base in Newtonmore, we will head to the chosen location for the day. We aim to use venues in the Northern Cairngorms, but we may venture to other areas such as Creag Meagaidh or Ben Nevis, depending on the conditions and weather forecast.
What is Included in our Guided Scottish Winter Mountaineering Courses?
- Certified and highly experience instructors & guides
- Climbing Axes & Leashes
- All technical climbing gear
What is Not Included?
- Travel & Activity Insurance
What Do I Need to Bring With Me?
- Waterproof jacket & trousers
- Winter boots B2 or B3 (we have B2 boots for you if required)
- Hat & gloves (we recommend 2x gloves)
- Belay jacket
- Lunch & Hot/Cold drinks
- Clear lensed Goggles
Should you prefer to use your own equipment on this Guided Scottish winter climbing course, you are welcome to bring your own harness, helmet, belay device, boots, crampons & axes. These must be in very good condition. Your instructor will check these on the day to ensure they appropriate.