The Duke of Edinburgh's Award
Active provide a number of training, practice & qualifying Gold DofE expeditions in Scotland throughout the year. We have open dates for individuals and bespoke packages for school & youth groups. Our expeditions are on foot, bike, canoe and sea kayak.
Please note that you are expected to arrive at the Cairngorms Adventure Centre the night before your course starts. This overnight stay is included and includes self-catering facilities.
|Training & Practice||Walking||Apr 6th – 9th|
|Training & Practice||Mountain Biking||Apr 6th – 9th|
|Training & Practice||Canoe||Apr 13th – 16th|
|Training & Practice||Sea Kayak||Apr 13th – 16th|
|Training & Practice||Canoe||Jul 13th – 16th|
|Training & Practice||Sea Kayak||Jul 13th – 16th|
|Training & Practice||Walking||Jul 20th – 23rd|
|Training & Practice||Mountain Biking||Jul 20th – 23rd|
|Qualifying||Canoe||Aug 3rd – 6th|
|Qualifying||Sea Kayak||Aug 3rd – 6th|
|Qualifying||Walking||Aug 10th – 13th|
|Qualifying||Mountain Biking||Aug 10th – 13th|
|Qualifying||Canoe||Oct 12th – 15th|
|Qualifying||Sea Kayak||Oct 12th – 15th|
|Qualifying||Walking||Oct 12th – 15th|
|Qualifying||Mountain Biking||Oct 12th – 15th|
|Qualifying||Canoe||Oct 19th – 22nd|
|Qualifying||Sea Kayak||Oct 19th – 22nd|
|Qualifying||Walking||Oct 19th – 22nd|
|Qualifying||Mountain Biking||Oct 19th – 22nd|
|Mode||What is involved||Cost|
|Training & Practice||Foot, Bike, Canoe or Sea Kayak||This is a 4 day and 4 night package. Two nights will be camping with two nights Self Catered at Cairngorms Adventure Centre. We provide 1 day of skills training & preparation followed by a 3 day practice expedition.||£289|
|Qualifying||Foot, Bike, Canoe or Sea Kayak||This is a 4 day and 4 night Gold Dofe qualifying expedition package. Three nights will be spent camping on the expedition with your arrival night at the Cairngorms Adventure Centre. Expeditions take place in the Cairngorms National Park and throughout Scotland.||£289|
- We are happy to organise Gold DofE training, practice Journeys & qualifying expeditions in Scotland for groups of 4 or more on dates that suit your requirements.
- Additional skills training days in open canoe, sea kayak, mountain bike or navigation skills are available at a cost of £59 per day. Group discounts available (please ask).
- Qualifying expeditions should be booked no less than 4 weeks before your expedition start date, to allow time to process green forms.
- There should be at least 2 weeks between your practice and qualifying expedition.
- Candidates must have prior experience in their chosen mode of transport (Active can provide this training in canoes or sea kayaks if required).
- Pre-trip information and advice on routes, camp sites, access information, kit lists etc.
- Self Catering centre accommodation.
- Group equipment (see below).
- DofE accredited supervisors and assessors for the practice & qualifying expeditions.
- Additional skills training days prior to qualifying journeys (please ask).
We can provide the following group kit if required for your Gold DofE expeditions:
- Inflatable camping mats
- Stoves, cutlery and crockery
- Expedition rucksacks or dry bags (dependent on mode of travel)
- Group first aid kits
- Maps & compasses
- Technical & safety kit such as buoyancy aids & helmets (dependent on mode of travel)
- Waterproofs and boots
- Expedition meals from £16 per day; Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
- Vango Stratos 350 Sleeping Bag: £35