Spanish Whitewater Sup Development Course
This SUP development course will be run in Spain on the Pallaresa river – world renown as the Whitewater kayak capital and the birthplace of European white water rafting. It is run by Jim Miller one of the absolute forerunners currently pushing the limits of SUP. The Course is two weeks long and takes place in grade 2-4+.
Spanish Whitewater SUP Development Course
This Spanish Whitewater Sup Development Course is run during September each year and lasts for one or two weeks. It is based out of the village of Sort in the Spanish Pyrenees mountains Catalonia. You will be taught by Jim Miller one of the very few individuals to be really pushing the boundaries of whitewater SUP at the moment.
If this course sounds like it would be of interest to you then we highly recommend you contact us first and have a discussion with Jim himself or one of our management team to determine if this course is right for you. During the two weeks you will have the opportunity to paddle rapids ranging from grade 2-4+ depending on your ability and gain coaching in all elements of the sport you are wishing to develop.
The main section of the Pallaresa river we run will be the Classic which has the famous Roc Roi and Totem/1400 rapids as well as the slalom course and the lower down Gorge section containing Pastis (the hardest single rapid on the river at grade 4+). The Pallaresa is a dam release river in the Pyrenees which is roughly 45km long and runs on a daily release providing consistent great white water in the sun! The town of Sort itself has a great coaching venue with its championship slalom course and world class play holes! It is absolutely essential that you have prior whitewater SUP experience in at least grade 2/3 before booking onto this so that you can gain the most out of the course.
The aim of this course is to upskill your current ability and improve the techniques you wish to work one providing you more confidence in the environment. There is a list further down the page of skills that we will cover but this is not exhaustive and is tailored totally around what you want.
Whitewater Sup (stand up paddleboarding) course information
The course cost includes instruction (normally 3-4 hours of white water paddling a day) and chalet style accommodation but you will need to arrange your own flights and transport out in Spain – we recommend flying into Barcelona (SUP’s can normally be included as normal baggage allowance but double check sizing) then hiring a car and driving up to Sort and unloading your kit at a chalet in the campsite (Camping Noguera Pallaresa). There are many great restaurants out in the town and also a bar & barbeque on site in the campsite which can be extremely handy after a good days paddling!
If you require SUP’s or paddles then it is possible Jim may have some spares which would be rentable but we recommend that you come with your own whitewater specific stand up paddleboard and 2x paddles in case one breaks. Other equipment you will need will be your buoyancy aid, helmet, appropriate paddling clothing i.e. shorts and a rash-vest/cag, a throwbag and body armour which at a bare minimum should cover your knees and bum/upper legs.
On the course you will look at skills appropriate for the grades of water you will be paddling – these could include:
- leadership skills and tactics.
- River reading skills and methods of making this easy like WORMS (water, obstacles, route choice, markers and safety).
- Personal paddling skills in the environment like breaking in, out, height management and the associated strokes that we utilise in this grade of white-water.
- Personal balance on the board and the ability to move around the board while in the rapid without falling off.
- Teamwork and safety cover on the river.
- When to decide if a rapid is appropriate for our current ability vs when to kneel or portage if required.
- How to generate and maintain momentum to punch through holes/stoppers on a SUP.
- How to Surf waves on a SUP.
- Keystrokes and timings.
- How to control the board of it pearls (nose dives).
- Changing and maintaining direction in bigger water.
- Crossing bigger flows and building confidence to manage this on both sides.
- Self and rescue of others.
Whitewater SUP Development Course Itinerary
As broken down below is a rough itinerary of your whitewater sup development course – this is totally adaptable to you all and your abilities but can be used a good estimate of the course plan:
- Day 1 – travel from the airport to the accommodation in Sort and meet your instructors. You will discuss the plan and get to know everyone before heading out to town for dinner if you wish to.
- Day 2 – warm up & stretching followed by a paddle most likely on the gorge section portaging pastis unless anyone has prior experience paddling grade 4/+ on sups.
- Day 3 – warm up & stretching before running the bottom part of the classic section down to the campsite for some lunch and then onto the slalom course in the afternoon for further coaching.
- Day 4 – warm up & stretching followed by a full run of the classic section back to the campsite.
- Day 5 – warm up & stretching followed by a run of the gorge section and pastis if people feel they wish to.
- Day 6- A full run of the classic section followed by a run at the slalom course if people wish to.
- Day 7 travel back to the airports – rest day for those who book the second week before it all kicks off again.
Additional Whitewater SUP Course Information
What is Included in the White water Sup Course
- 5 full days of coaching & instruction
- Accommodation – mobile homes
What is not Included
- Airport transfers and transport – we recommend you hire a car our it Barcelona when you fly in.
- Food – you can self cater in the Chalet’s or eat out in town which has wonderful restaurants and supermarkets all at good prices.
- Equipment – Boats and paddles MAY be able to be hired if you don’t have you own but we recommend you turn up with a whitewater specific SUP and also 2 x paddles
Weather during your Whitewater Sup Course
- The weather is normally hot and sunny in and around the 20-25 degree mark so shorts and t-shirts are recommended. Likewise when paddling shorts, rash vest and cag are the usual clothes worn.
- Remember to still pack warm clothes as the nights can be chilly.
- Bring waterproofs as well as it may rain – most of the rain in Spain falls over the Pyrenees so it is definitely worht brining one.
Whitewater SUP Course Costs
The cost of this course is £700.00 for one week or £1300 for both weeks – if you are interested in booking this course then we highly recommend you contact us first to discuss if this is right for you and so that we can tailor the course to your wishes!