4 Day Winter Skills courses
Four Days Winter Skills Course in the Cairngorms, Aviemore & Scotland. Select your start date on the calendar – days 2, 3 and 4 are automatically added. Our four day Winter Skills Courses may include some steeper terrain like Fiacaill ridge as well.
Winter Skills Courses in Scotland
Our Four day winter skills training courses in the Cairngorms, Aviemore & throughout Scotland are designed to ensure you have the skills and knowledge to travel safely in the high mountains in winter conditions. All our four day courses may also take the skills into steeper terrain like Fiacaill ridge as well. These essential skills will be learned and developed throughout your chosen course. The Winter Skills days will utilise the Cairngorms to teach you the fundamentals of hill walking in Winter conditions.
You will get to develop your winter skills and learn new techniques. These include navigation, use of crampons & ice axes, walking safely in the snow, snow-pack analysis, the use of transceivers (including search and rescue techniques), emergency shelters, introduction to rope work, & avalanche awareness/evaluation.
Our winter skills are based at the Cairngorms Adventure Centre and use the Northern Corries and Cairngorm Plateau, one of Scotland’s finest and most accessible high mountain areas, thus maximising your learning time. Other areas that we may use are; Creag Meagaidh, Ben Nevis & Glencoe.
Four Days Winter Skills Itinerary
Get Skilled For Winter
- Winter navigational skills.
- Winter Crampon & ice axe skills .
- Safe mountain walking skills in Scottish winter conditions.
- Avalanche awareness/evaluation training.
- Scottish Winter weather evaluation skills.
- Emergency Winter Shelters.
- Detailed snow-pack analysis.
- The Use of Transceivers.
- Search & rescue Scenario.
- Advanced Winter Skills Rope Work.
On the Scotland Winter skills days & courses in Aviemore & the Cairngorms, you will cover the above skills which are crucial to be able to travel safely in the hills. Of course, the skills you will cover on the Winter skills training will depend on the length of your chosen course.
Winter Skills Course Timings & Information
- 08:15 meet at Cairngorms Adventure Centre on day 1 for equipment issue an initial briefing.
- 09:00 Depart from Cairngorms Adventure Centre to head to the chosen venue (clients will follow the instructor in their own vehicles.
- Courses will finish around 17:00.
Winter Scenery Video
The hills encompassed in a winter coat of snow. The shots are mostly from the Cairngorms & Aviemore, but also a couple from other parts of Scotland.