Active Senior Outdoor Instructor (Full time / Part time)
Senior Outdoor Instructor – £18,500 to £23,000 per annum (based on qualification/experience)
28 days paid leave per year.
Equipment Discount schemes
The Senior Outdoor Instructor Position
We are seeking multi skilled senior outdoor instructors who will be responsible for providing outdoor experiences in a wide range of land, snow & water sports to clients at venues throughout the Cairngorms National Park as well as trips & expeditions across the UK & Internationally.
You will be involved in the training of a variety of groups including our Instructor Training Programmes and Instructor Development Programs which provide intensive training programs to outdoor enthusiasts advancing their career in the outdoor industry.
Due to the diverse nature of our services and the year round provision the successful candidate will potentially be involved in providing services at a wide variety of locations across the country and abroad. All aspects of the post will be fully discussed should you be shortlisted for interview.
This is a full time salaried post. Working hours are variable as all our services operate 7 days per week and due to the seasonality of the local tourism market Staff regularly work weekends. It is also therefore not normal to have holidays between April to October – but all applications are considered.
We also have opportunities for Seasonal Senior Outdoor Instructors -salary and leave prorate.
Active Outdoor Pursuits
Established in 1999 Active Outdoor Pursuits offer activity days, adventure weekends, holidays, courses and expeditions across Scotland. Our provision covers winter sports, water sports, mountain sports, and team building activities. Active seeks to support every experience – from adventure sport to environmental exploration and from tentative first steps into the outdoors to advanced skills and instructor training.
We design and deliver courses for individuals, families, schools, youth groups and corporate parties. We also offer personal development and leadership courses for young people and business teams. We support charities in facilitating fundraising and events and deliver award programmes such as the John Muir Awards, Prince’s Trust and Duke of Edinburgh’s Award schemes.
Our main base is at Craigower Lodge, a 70 bed Outdoor Centre in Newtonmore but we also provide adventure experiences and courses at venues across Scotland as well as international trips.
Activities & the Centre
When on activities, expeditions, international trips or when based at Craigower or one of our other sites the successful candidates’ duties will include but are not limited to:
- Organising, developing and delivering energised, safe and supportive outdoor activities to clients in accordance with Active’s Safety Policy and National Standards and in keeping with client’s ambitions and purposes for the activity/event.
- Conducting oneself in a professional manner in all areas related to your employment.
- Maintaining the highest standards of quality in all aspects of outdoor provision, client care, provision of outdoor activities / education, time keeping and transportation.
- Respecting client’s individuality and ensuring company and client confidentiality are maintained at all times
- Providing safe transport for clients as part of the activity day, as required. Ensure minibuses are cleaned before and after each session. Ensure customers are given appropriate safety & comfort brief prior to each journey. Ensuring all buses, trailers, equipment, facilities used are left tidy and stored appropriately
- Ensuring clients (& junior staff) show care to Active equipment and facilities
- Ensure equipment, facilities, buses, trailers etc are prepared, used, returned, cleaned and organised appropriately in preparation for further use and security for same is maintained. (Adhering to all equipment/maintenance /damage logs/systems as appropriate)
- To participate fully in personal development and training programmes for benefit of self, colleagues and the company.
- To provide support, direction, training & supervision to junior staff in all aspects of operation
- To function in the “lead instructor” role when allocated to ensure the continuity, excellent communication and quality of services for clients as well as direction to other staff, associates and organisation of delivery.
- To adhere to all company policies and the law relating to Health & Safety, Equal Opportunities, Child Protection, Health Promotion, Environmental and Courtesy Codes.
- To promote Active Outdoor Pursuits and its services positively to clients, potential clients, suppliers, partners and competitors.
- Managing effective relationships and ensuring open channels of communication between staff, clients, suppliers, management and colleagues at other Active bases, is maintained
- To participate positively in service developments. Discussing ideas for improvements to services with management and remaining open to change and new opportunities.
- To be open and reflective in relationships with colleagues and management so we can ensure you are supported effectively to do your job to the best of your ability, keep healthy and contribute positively to services and business development.
- To complete all associated paperwork and reports as required.
- To support and participate in all wider associated roles and responsibilities e.g. administration, maintenance, client services etc ensuring efficient, safe and quality operations, activities and services are maintained across the company.
Start date April 2020.
Closing Date: 18th February
Interviews: 28 Feb – 1st March
Application: Send completed application forms to >
Questions: Please direct all questions to >
Active Outdoor Pursuits Person Specification Senior Outdoor Instructor
A mature demeanour, with the ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with a wide client base with very differing needs and ambition.
A willingness to learn new skills. Ability to self asses and remain open to feedback from others to further enhance own performance.
A flexible approach to working hours.
Ability to work, sometimes, long days for sustained periods.
Able to work at different locations across the UK & Internationally
Multi skilled individual, comfortable in a multi tasked role.
An eye for detail and a commitment to quality
Enjoys a challenge and working to deadlines
Self motivated, outdoor enthusiast.
Must have a clean Driving license and been driving for at least 1 year as well as an up to date first Aid Certificate. Then at least 4 Outdoor Qualifications from the following list – (at least 1 must be water based and 1 must be land based)
*Summer Mountain Leader
* Rock Climbing Instructor
*BC Level 2 Open Canoe or Sea kayak
*Trail Cycle leader/Mountain Bike leader or equivalent
*Ski / Snowboard Qualification.
*Raft Guide Level 2 or equivalent
At lease 1 NGB or training from the list below:
* Winter Mountain Leader
*Mountain Instructors Award
*Advanced Open Canoe Leader
*BC Level 3 Open Canoe or Sea kayak
Duke of Edinburgh Assessor Award
Wider experience / training / performance awards in mountain, water, snow sports.
Outdoor Leadership or Management or equivalent qualification.
Experience in working within the outdoor industry which included the provision of adventurous outdoor activities and personal development packages.
An ability to clearly identify the needs, aims and ambitions of each client/client group and tailor approach and activity to reflect same.
Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team in a supervisory or management position.
Experience of working with a variety of groups and ages. Experience of working with young people with challenging behaviour and an ability to make the outdoor experience relevant to them and contribute actively to their personal development.
Working with booking systems
Outdoor centre/Hostel experience
Outdoor retail or ski /bike hire
A committed team player, able to listen, share, give and receive support and advice and can resolve differences and find ways to move forward.
Willing to share information and suggest new ideas.
Understands and respects the roles of others.
Ability to provide supervision, support, direction and training to
junior staff, students and trainees.
Previous management and supervisory experience.
Current Driving licence
An acute understanding of the commercial nature of activity
Respect client and company confidentiality
An economy of supplies approach to equipment and services.
Demonstrate respect for company assets and adhere to systems for managing same.
Travel and work away from home on expeditions both in the UK and internationally
Committed to work to systems but enjoys exploring new ways of working along with the rest of the team.
Able to regularly work evenings and weekends as required
Working knowledge of ALS, Lotc, Adventure Mark and other H&S qualitative external monitoring systems.
Passenger Carrying Vehicle Licence.
Knowledge of Scottish Tourism/Outdoor industry
Ski or Bike technician
Knowledge & Skills
Health and Safety issues. pertaining to outdoor activities
Able to follow company protocols and procedures as well as demonstrating the maturity and experience to make dynamic risk assessments reflecting the variables of client, group, weather, conditions, venue etc
Child Protection Issues
Awareness of group dynamics, facilitation and reviewing skills.
Knowledge of different teaching & learning styles.
Excellent organisational and planning skills.
Issues related to drugs and alcohol
Knowledge of environmental studies, particularly relating to fauna and flora for primary school
Computer Skills familiar with Microsoft Office and confident in the use of email communication systems
Bike Maintenance Skills
Check out the photos below of our staff who have all pursued their outdoor instructor careers in Scotland with a job at Active.
If the photos have not convinced you are you are not sure if you want to pursue your career as an outdoor instructor in Scotland then take a look on our Facebook and see what we have been up to recently.