Single Pitch Award Assessment
Single Pitch Award Assessment – 2 Day Course
The Single Pitch Award assessment is a 2 day qualification course. To attend you must have completed the SPA Training course or have exemption as well as meeting the assessment pre-requisites in the SPA handbook.
Access the assessment syllabus via Mountain Training website. Over the 5 days you are assessed on your overall performance with specific skills being focused on on different days. For the course you will be expected to provide your own equipment for the course, this includes expedition kit & personal and group safety kit.
A home paper issued prior to the course and the preparation of a short 5 minute talk on a topic relevant to climbing. For example; Rock types, advantage for top & bottom ropes & rope types.
Pre-requisites for Summer Mountain Leader;
It is your responsibility to you to ensure you meet the pre-requisites for the award;
- Completed the SPA training course (2 days) or received exemption from training.
- Recorded a minimum of 40 lead climbs at a severe grade.
- Assisted in the Supervision of 20 climbing sessions (indoor and outdoor)
- Registered and active member of Mountain Training.
- Hold a valid and current First Aid certificate (16 hours min).
The cost of this course includes self catered accommodation at Cairngorm Adventure Centre from where the course will be based.